To prepare the papers to send me for your End Papers book(s) you'll need
1) a mailer or big envelope
2) a brief session with the papers
3) and a little packing material if there's room in the box.
Sorting the papers is the beginning of the creative process. It can be relatively quick and painless! Put on some music, make a cup of tea, maybe let someone know what you're doing, and set a timer for 30 minutes or whatever time you have.
1. First remove the essential papers, meaning anything that you want to keep. I kept for example, my father’s birth certificate and diplomas. I ended up framing a beautiful engineering drawing of my dad's that I also set aside, as a gift for my sister.
2. Remove any papers that would seriously bum you out to see in the books. I just threw those ones away. For example, I removed my father's sad letters to health insurance companies, but I got a kick out of his meticulous blood sugar monitoring charts, so I kept those in. If you are on the fence, leave them in.
3. Keep in papers that have interesting lines, textures, colors, transparencies, hand marks, drawings, maps, stickers etc., folds, stains... If there's something you'd like me to be sure to include, you can indicate that with a sticky note.
4. Put the remaining papers to send to me in a 9 x 12” priority flat rate mailer or a side or top loading medium flat rate box, or whatever envelope of box that works, depending on the size of the paper stack.
If you're using a box, please add some kind of packing material to keep the papers from moving around during shipment to avoid damaging them. Crumpled brown paper works fine.
Be sure not to fold the papers.
These mailer options are currently between $10-$15, and these boxes are free at the post office. (Be sure not to use the Priority Express mailer - it’s pricier - has more blue on it.)
5. Send the papers off to me at
606 Brierwood Court
Ann Arbor MI 48103
and you're done! I will confirm your choices in an email including an end date for the return of the books.
5. If you want to adjust or add more books to your order, you have some flexibility in the first couple of weeks. I will send a Venmo request for the outstanding payment when the books are ready to send. Here’s the link to the project page, in case you have family or friends who might want to have a book made from the same set of papers as well. I can consider it part of the same order.
You have done a wonderful thing to begin this alchemy. You can reach me at email@example.com with any further thoughts or questions.